Wednesday, December 19, 2012

First recipe!

I really enjoy making own beauty products. I don't like using chemicals in my house. Part of that stems from the fact that my daughter has been ultra sensitive to chemicals since birth. It also stems from the fact that I have learned a lot more about the dangers of chemicals to the body. One product that I used, even though I knew it was loaded with chemicals was hairspray. My husband practically douses his head with it every morning. The turning point came for me when my bathroom was covered in a thick layer of crusty hairspray, and no amount of scrubbing would get it off. I was on the bathroom floor with every tool I could think of, including scalding hot water. I even scrubbed with a brush. It would not come off. Pretty gross. After trying to find a natural hairspray, and practically coughing at the price (most were about $7.00...for hairspray!), I decided to try to make my own. I was a little shocked to find that hairspray is basically just sugar, water and chemicals. So here is my recipe. Yes, it is mostly just water and sugar! It works great, and does not make you or your bathroom sticky. My husband, who likes his hair spikey and stiff, really likes it. Plus, the essential oils in it smell good and are good for the hair and scalp. If you have trouble with thinning hair, the rosemary will benefit that as well.

Homemade Hairspray

1 c. water or herbal tea
4 t. sugar (or more, depending on how strong of a hold you want)
2 T. vodka (used as a preservative)
10 drops therapeutic grade Grapefruit essential oil
10 drops therapeutic grade Rosemary essential oil

Heat water or tea to boiling, then turn off the heat. Add the sugar, and stir until completely dissolved. Add vodka and allow to cool. Add the essential oils after the water mixture cools. Put into a spray bottle, and shake well before using. This recipe makes a firm hold hairspray.


2 comments:

  1. This looks GREAT Jen! I'm so glad you started this and look forward to all your upcoming recipes and tips! The layout is beautiful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much April!! I'm so glad you came to visit me :). I'm going to try and post things about every day. It is easier than writing about every day life :).

    ReplyDelete