Monday, December 23, 2013

Candy Cane Kisses

As Christmas is almost upon us, I am trying to create as many healthy goodies as I can. My newest creation is Candy Cane Kisses. These are just SO yummy! I was so happy that they turned out great the first try. Love when that happens :)! They are very addictive, so make sure you make a lot. They are crispy, not chewy, and are hard to describe what they compare to. They are like small, melt-in-your-mouth crispy cookies. That is all I can describe them as!

Here is the recipe:

4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp. liquid stevia (I used NOW stevia glycerite)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 or 2 peppermint crushed candy canes (I only used 1. I used these, which I got at our local co-op. They are corn syrup free, dye free and organic)

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the salt and cream of tartar, and while beating, slowly drizzle in the honey, stevia and vanilla. Beat until stiff and glossy (about 10 minutes). Spoon the meringue mix into a re-sealable plastic bag (you can also use a pastry bag). Cut a small hole in the corner of the re-sealable bag. Squeeze small kisses (I did about 1 1/2 inch sizes) onto parchment or Silpat lined baking sheets. Sprinkle the kisses with the crushed candy canes. Bake at 225 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. If they start getting too browned, turn the heat down farther. They will still be soft after cooking. Turn oven off, and allow the kisses to cool in the oven for at least an hour. After cooled and hardened, remove them from the baking sheets and store in an airtight container.

This recipe made a little over 100 kisses. I made them last night, and they are already halfway gone, so I need to make more before Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. They look wonderful! I should have hung around a little to try them :)

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete