Friday, January 11, 2013

Grain free easy tortillas/wraps

I am not one who likes to roll out things. Rolling play dough out with my daughter is fun. Rolling pie crust...not so much. Pie crusts and homemade tortillas always took forever because of all the rolling. When I went gluten free, rolling things out got downright frustrating at times. Gluten free grains can get really crumbly and fall apart easily. I can't tell you how many pie crusts I have ruined after I rolled them out and tried to put them in the plate. I started concocting pressable pie crust recipes because of my dislike for rolling pie crusts. For a long time, I looked for a gluten free/corn free tortilla recipe that I could pour instead of roll, but couldn't find one. I decided to concoct one of my own (this is how a lot of my recipes get started! lol!). I had been making mini pizza crusts for years with an old recipe I modified, but never tried it for tortillas. This recipe is easy, and doesn't require any rolling! Yay! Basically, what we are making is seasoned crepes. Here is the recipe:

1 cup arrowroot powder (or cornstarch if you don't have arrowroot)
1 cup tapioca starch
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning (sounds like a lot, but gives it amazing flavor)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 cups dairy free milk (or regular milk, if dairy isn't an issue)
4 eggs

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, making sure it is free of lumps. You can make these in a non-stick skillet, or you can do them on an electric skillet. I used an electric skillet because I could make more than one at once. Pour a small pancake size amount onto your skillet.

If using an electric skillet, spread the batter out with a spatula, making a large crepe.
 They should look like the picture below, and be almost see through. If using a regular skillet, as you pour the batter, pick up the skillet and move it so that the batter spreads around the pan.
 Cook like a pancake, and flip when ready. Cool on a wire rack so that they don't stick together. The finished wrap looks like this:
They look super flimsy don't they? I was shocked that they held together better than any tortilla I have ever tried! Normally, when I make tacos and stuff a regular tortilla full, it falls apart. This one doesn't do that! I use them for tortillas and wraps. They make a great lunch stuffed with lunchmeat and veggies. I like to cut the tortillas into wedges and bake them in the oven and make tortilla chips. They taste wonderful with salsa, or made into nachos. This recipe can be used to make small pancake size mini pizza crusts. Just pour the batter, but don't spread it out, and cook it like a pancake. Then add pizza sauce to them and toppings and bake in the oven. A quick and easy lunch!

This recipe makes about 14 large wraps. I like to freeze them in layers between wax paper, and pull them out when I need them. To reheat them, place them in a toaster oven or regular oven on the rack and heat until warm. Don't heat too long or they will get crisp. I have never tried to thaw these in the microwave. I think they would get mushy, but maybe not. You could also double the recipe, or half the recipe.

***Note: if you make these in a non-stick skillet, do not use oil, as they make the tortillas gummy. Non-stick cooking spray would probably work fine, but test first to make sure the spray doesn't make the tortillas gummy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, I'm going to have to see if the ingredients are available here so that I can try this recipe. I tried making corn meal tortillas the other day and gave up. I couldn't roll them out and if I just pressed them out, they were way too thick and didn't taste that great. I'm not even sure the dog ate them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle W says: YUM! I wonder if egg replacer would work as well.

    ReplyDelete